I’m afraid this week I’m not able to write a particularly exciting update. My team and I have been working remotely and very much following the Government’s advice to #StayHomeSaveLives. That doesn’t mean we’ve been any less busy though, in fact without travel time and watercooler moments we’ve probably been working harder than ever!
This week I have:
- Ensured the safe return of constituents from Bali, Australia, New Zealand, Peru, and Indonesia – still more to go unfortunately!
- Spoke with West Leicestershire CCG and University Hospitals Leicester to go through their plans for dealing with capacity and the sick.
- Spoken with Ministers about the need for outstanding palliative care.
- Asked the Minister for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs about designating certain zoo staff as key workers.
- Helped local surgeries and care companies access PPE as they continue to carry out their vital work helping vulnerable people.
- Listened to constituents feedback and concerns about the support available to businesses and fed this in to the Treasury.
- Wrote to the Planning Minister to ask about the possibility of a moratorium on new planning applications during the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Appeared on Sky News to talk about the need for more testing.
- Continued to update my Facebook page and website with the latest updates on our fight against Coronavirus.
- Asked further questions to Ministers about a range of Covid 19 related issues including support for the charitable sector; mental health provision for care workers; sentencing for perpetrators of Covid 19 related fraud; the robustness of broadband to support increased levels of home usage; and, involving gyms and personal trainers to keep everyone fit and healthy.
- Advised local people on how to access the different financial help schemes which are available.
- Raised issues around the business scheme and furloughing employees at the daily Cabinet Office teleconference
- Raise the issue of dealing with social unrest and planning with the Chief of Leicestershire Police
- Connected local companies directly into the Governments testing, hospital building and support effort
- On Thursday night took to my doorstep to #ClapForTheNHS
- Taught the puppy to sit before getting food!