Whilst Parliament rose on Wednesday for an unplanned recess without a doubt it has been the busiest week for me and my team since the General Election. Our job is to represent you in the very best way that we can and in these troubling times that job has never been more important. In the past 7 days alone we have had 428 casework emails from constituents, it’s our aim to respond to every one of you in one way or another.
My aim has been: 1) problem solving 2) communicating 3) organising – all nationally, regionally and locally.
Aside from that here is a flavour of what I have been doing:
- Been working with West Leicestershire Clinical Commissioning Group to ensure that essential PPE gets delivered to our front-line NHS staff here in Hinckley and Bosworth.
- Had conversations with Inspector Emma Maxwell, our Local Policing Unit Commander about the Leicestershire force’s response to Coronavirus.
- Wrote to the Editor of The Hinckley Times about the need to observe social distancing and self-isolation in order to protect those being shielded.
- Had several conversations with the Chief Executive of Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council about mobilising volunteers locally and getting help to the people who need it.
- Spoke with the Police Minister Kit Malthouse to discuss the interpretation of emergency police powers…
- …and the Health Minister Jo Churchill about personal protective equipment and facilitating GPs to work from home.
- Took part in a conference call with county health leads from UHL, LPT and WLCCG where we talked about the health service’s response to Coronavirus.
- Written to county, borough and parish councillors about the amazing work they are doing in their communities but at the same time the importance of maintaining the highest standards of safeguarding.
- My team and I have pro-actively written to local businesses with an update about the Government’s economic response to the crisis.
- Put the Cabinet Office in touch with local businesses who potentially could produce supplies for our health service.
- Took part in the first ever health select committee to be held by videolink.
- Been interviewed by Talk Radio, the Beyond the Bubble podcast, BBC Radio Leicester and Fosse 107FM, and wrote columns for The Graphic magazine and Conservative Home website.