As the economy is showing positive signs of recovery, I met with local businesses in Bosworth to discuss their concerns regarding their post pandemic revival. Topics ranged from the reduction in customers through the door, sector specific support for the travel industry, and business rates, all of which I have raised with Ministers.
Most recently, I asked the Treasury Secretary about the upcoming Business Rates Review as this will have a direct impact on local businesses in Bosworth. You can watch the Ministerial response here: Business Rates Review - Question to Treasury Secretary | Dr Luke Evans MP
In addition, I am proud to have taken a leading role in drumming up support for Twycross Zoo's bid for a National Science and Conservation Centre in our local area, as part of the Levelling Up Fund. I am pleased I was able to obtain support from other MP’s, our local councillors, the LLEP, Midlands Engine, East Midlands Chamber of Commerce and Biaza Zoos and Aquariums, because I truly believe in this project. The Centre provides a fantastic opportunity to establish our local area as a focus for jobs, education and research and I am proud to be a part of the Zoo’s journey. You can find out more about the benefits this new centre would bring and my supportive letter to the Chancellor of the Exchequer here: Supporting Twycross Zoo's Levelling Up Bid | Dr Luke Evans MP
Furthermore, my week consisted of:
- Explained my thoughts on delaying the release of lockdown restrictions during the Coronavirus restrictions debate. You can watch my speech here: Restrictions vote - 16th June 2021 | Dr Luke Evans MP
- Expediated the re-instatement of a knocked over telegraph pole, this time in Barwell! The incident affected up to 20 households, one of which was a vulnerable person with an emergency button installed which was rendered inoperative, and all without internet or telephone service. I am pleased I could once again work with Openreach to quickly resolve this important issue.
- Spoke with the Railway Minister to discuss the Rail freight Interchanges and national strategic policy.
- Wrote to the Justice Secretary with my concerns over the Colin Pitchfork release asking for the decision to be reviewed.
- Worked with the Daily Mail to raise concerns over the rise in eating disorder presentations, you can read more here: Number of children suffering eating disorders rockets during lockdown | Daily Mail Online
- Participated in two Health and Social Care Select Committee meetings to discuss the parameters for future inquiries into maternity services and healthcare post pandemic.
- Held a meeting with Highways England to further discussions regarding improvements to the A5.
- Met with Stoke Golding Scouts to hear about the fantastic work they have been doing around recycling and litter picking, working towards their Community Impact Badges. Another local group of young people taking action on protecting the environment!
- Held constituent surgeries to discuss; concerns around the vaccines, complaint to the police and social care reform.
If you live in the Bosworth constituency and have a question or need my help then please do email me at email@example.com with your name and address.
For regular updates, follow my social media: