This week Parliament has been in recess and as such I have been at home in Bosworth, mostly in meetings about the administration of my office for the coming parliamentary year, a meeting with the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS), and of course campaigning.
We’ve also had the local elections, congratulations to all of those candidates who have been fortunate enough to be elected. To stand for public office is not easy. I know all of them will undertake their role with diligence and dedication.
As you know I usually write this piece and update you with what I have been up to in the previous week.
This week I thought it would be a great idea to outline some of the non-COVID casework, small and varied in nature but equally as important. My team and I will do our best to help and can be contacted at email@example.com. Here is a flavour of just a few of the 11,000 pieces of casework I have had as a Member of Parliament away from Westminster.
In recent weeks we have:
- Assisted constituents who have been affected by Windrush to get the compensation they are entitled to and in one case to resolve their citizenship issue.
- Helped constituents to access the correct level of disability benefit based upon the impact their condition has upon their everyday life.
- Assisted our local NHS to ensure that sufficient vaccines are available at Hinckley Leisure Centre, working with the Vaccine Minister and NHS Vaccine taskforce.
- Helped a constituent who had a query about how the coronavirus travel restrictions applied to his particular family circumstances.
- Successfully connected houses to broadband, always a really important issue in our rural – and sometimes not so rural areas! (And still very much an on going priority for me – hence the meeting with the Secretary of State for DCMS this week!)
- Re-instated a telegraph pole restoring service to over 40 houses.
- Helped local residents whose homes have streetlights shining into their bedroom windows.
- Assisted a constituent whose wife is stuck in Africa.
- Worked with the County Council to get a speed limit changed on a fast road.
- Sorted out delays at the land registry to allow a house sale.
- Sorted out a driving license renewal with the DVLA for a constituent having trouble.