Over the course of last weekend and the early part of this week I have received a number of calls and emails about the prospect of a horse fair being held in and around Earl Shilton this coming weekend.
I have spent a great deal of time liaising with Inspector Emma Maxwell, Local Policing Unit Commander for Hinckley and Bosworth; Chief Constable of Leicestershire Police Simon Cole; and local government officers especially at Leicestershire County Council’s Multi Agency Travellers Unit (MATU).
I have been informed during and after those conversations that this week’s proposed horse fair has been cancelled. To be clear partner agencies do not expect it to now take place.
The police are closely monitoring the situation.
If you see any illegal activity you are urged to phone Leicestershire Police Force on 999, if there is an immediate danger; or 101 for non-emergency calls. Please do this before contacting any other agency or elected person as the police will be best placed to gather intelligence and evidence and will respond to your call appropriately.
Aside from that I have:
- Took part in a meeting of the Health and Social Care Select Committee where I questioned Baroness Harding, the Executive Chair of the NHS Test and Trace programme; as well as experts in pathogen dynamics and Chen Chien-jen, a former Vice President of Taiwan and a renowned epidemiologist.
- Been in touch with senior management at Triumph Motorcycles and spoke with the Minister for the Automotive sector to provide support for both the company and staff who face losing their jobs at this difficult time.
- Responded to constituents who contacted me about the horrific death of George Floyd.
- And others who asked me about the Agriculture Bill which is currently working its way through parliament.
- Continued to work on behalf of Twycross Zoo in lobbying members of the Government, continuing to speak to DEFRA and Twycross Chief Executive, Dr Sharon Redrobe.
- Joint phone call with Leicestershire MP’s and the Senior Leadership of the CCG and Leicestershire Royal Infirmary
- Wrote to the Transport Secretary about British Airways
- Wrote for the Conservative Home website about planning issues and some solutions.
- Congratulated the wonderful Hinckley Concordia Association on being awarded The Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service, the highest award that a voluntary group can receive in the United Kingdom.