Throughout the lockdowns, like many, my beloved dogs Ada and Roux have provided me much welcomed companionship. Unfortunately, however, there have been those who have exploited our love for animals and stolen those dearest to us for financial gain. I know this is an issue many of you feel strongly about, with over 200 people from Bosworth having signed the petition on micro-chipping pets. It was a pleasure to be called and speak on behalf of my constituents in a Westminster Hall debate, giving a more personal aspect to the topic. You can watch my speech here: Micro-chipping pets speech | Dr Luke Evans MP
I am pleased the Pet Theft Taskforce is underway looking at solutions and I will continue to press to make sure the Government brings all stakeholders together with workable solutions to tackle this important issue, I look forward to seeing the result of the taskforce conclusions at the end of the Summer.
Furthermore, my appearances this week included:
- Raised the Colin Pitchfork case in Parliament this week with the Justice Minister - I was pleased to hear that the government has listened to our concerns and used the Recall Mechanism to ask the Parole Board to reconsider its decision.
- Asked the Minister for Work and Pensions about error (over and underpayments) in the welfare system to ensure any errors are communicated and resolved as quickly as possible. You can watch the Ministerial response here: Fraud and error within the Welfare System - Question to DWP | Dr Luke Evans MP
- Asked the Defence Minister in the wake of the misplaced defence documents, about what procedures are in place to ensure this does not happen again. You can watch the Ministerial response here: Misplaced Defence Documents - Question to Defence Minister | Dr Luke Evans MP
- Held a meeting with the Minister for Care on vaccine deployment, received a briefing from the Vaccine Minister to gain a national perspective of the roll out, and from our local healthcare to understand from a local perspective.
- Took part in a round table with the Secretary of State for BEIS raising how our region can build on our successes in science, health and research as part of the Innovation Strategy the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy are working on.
- Met with regional MP's to discuss cross-boundary issues and how we can work together to raise with Government.
- Visited Battling Brook Primary School to see their fantastic efforts to raise money as a ‘Thank You’ for the NHS.
- Spoke with constituents during surgery to discuss a range of issues including special needs school support, Coronavirus vaccine and lockdowns, and a neighbour dispute.
If you live in the Bosworth constituency and have a question or need my help, then please do email me at email@example.com with your name and address.