It is always wonderful to showcase the Hinckley and Bosworth constituency to members of the Government, there is no better way to make a case for this wonderful area than to have those with their hands on the policy and purse strings see it. This week has been unusual because we have had not one but two visits.
On Thursday it was lovely to be invited to North Warwickshire and South Leicestershire College’s MIRA Technology Institute to join Rt Hon Gavin Williamson MP, Secretary of State for Education, where we both saw the wonderful apprenticeships, education and training opportunities offered by this wonderful college.
Yesterday I had the privilege of welcoming the Prime Minister and other ministers to the Jurys Inn Hinckley Island as he paid a flying visit to the annual Conservative Councillor’s Association annual conference. The hotel is an excellent business and conference venue and plays an important role in contributing to our local economy.
Aside from this I have:
- Visited Woodlands Nursery and pre-school, a new permanent childcare provider in Barwell.
- Welcomed Year 8 students from Hastings High School to Westminster to help them understand how parliament works.
- Held another meeting with Baroness Vere, the roads minister, about the need for improvement works along the A5 corridor.
- Sat on my first draft legislation committee for the Mesothelioma Lump Sum Payments (Conditions and Amounts)(Amendment) Regulations 2020; where every clause and line of the regulations are scrutinised and amended.
- Took part in a breakfast briefing with the new Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rt Hon Rishi Sunak MP.
- Attended my first meeting of the 1922 Committee of Conservative MPs.
- Spoke in debates in the chamber of the House of Commons about local government finance and fairer funding; and social care.
- Held a meeting with Karamijt Singh CBE, Chairman of University Hospitals Leicester NHS Trust to talk about the future of healthcare in the county in general, and Bosworth in particular.
- Received answers to my written questions fly tipping in the Bosworth constituency and knive crime.
- Held another surgery for constituents, this time at Barlestone Community Hall.
- Met with Finn, the former police dog and star of Britain’s Got Talent, as he campaigns for Finn’s Law Part 2 calling for tougher sentences for animal cruelty.