I am sure like every resident of Hinckley and Bosworth I was relieved to hear the news on Monday that the Government had set out a roadmap to see us out of lockdown and set us on a path to normality by the Summer. This is something I had been lobbying hard on to have a plan that businesses and people can work to.
It will be great to see children back at school on 8 March, outdoor sport – including Golf and Tennis – return on the 29 March; and other activities reopen as springtime progresses.
The budget is due next week and I have been lobbying privately and publicly to press the case that while restrictions remain in place on businesses, those affected should be supported.
Of course much will depend on the continued rollout of vaccinations and transmission of the virus continuing to reduce; but at last real hope is there for summer holidays and, who knows, watching live sport and going to the theatre.
You may be interested to see how our constituency is faring and data is now published here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-v…
On the subject of Covid-19 I was astonished to hear yesterday 32,290 Bosworth residents have received at least their first vaccination jab. What a truly remarkable achievement!
Aside from that this week I have:
- Received a briefing from the Education Minister Nick Gibb and members of his Ministerial Team about the safe reopening of schools and plans for this year’s assessments.
- Took part in the Health and Social Care Select Committee where I questioned Minister Helen Whately MP and Prerana Issar, Chief People Officer of NHS England about supporting NHS staff throughout the pandemic and as we return to normality, and how much the NHS runs on goodwill: https://www.drlukeevans.org.uk/news/health-and-social-care-selection-committee-looking-after-our-nhs-staff
- Met with the Artistic Director of Kings International Ballet Academy, based in Barwell.
- Received another weekly briefing on vaccine rollout from the vaccines minister, Nadhim Zahawi MP.
- Been pleased to have helped in securing and can announce a new state-of-the-art research centre based at MIRA with investment from REE Automotive bringing £50m investment and 200 jobs : https://www.drlukeevans.org.uk/news/dr-luke-welcomes-brand-new-state-art-engineering-centre-excellence
- Wrote to the residents of Sketchley Brook in Burbage about the work my office and I have been doing to bring superfast broadband to their estate: https://www.drlukeevans.org.uk/news/sketchley-brook-broadband
- Met with local publicans about the challenges facing them, and the hospitality industry
- Raised the issue of closed playgrounds in Earl Shilton with the Town Council on behalf local parents.
- Hosted an Energy Round Table Meeting with businesses based in Bosworth and strategic stakeholders.
- Met with Nadine Dorries, Heath Minister to discuss the prospect of body image in new legislation.
- Had another constituents surgery.
- … and got rather cross to discover that ‘academics’ at Kings College London had wasted staff time creating casework from fake constituents when we could have been helping real ones: https://www.drlukeevans.org.uk/news/dr-luke-angered-time-wasting-academic-study