As we finally start to move out of lockdown and regain some semblance of normality I was delighted to restart my programme of visits around the constituency yesterday.
It seemed somehow fitting that my very first visit would be to Twycross Zoo, which was also one of my last before closedown.
In many ways here in Bosworth the zoo has been totemic in how our local economy has dealt with coronavirus; it really is wonderful to see it open once more, visitors coming through the gates and social distancing being observed.
Yesterday afternoon I also took the opportunity to visit shops and speak with retailers and customers in Hinckley town centre. We’re not back at pre-Covid normality yet, but we are much closer than we were a few short weeks ago.
This week’s update really is one of hope, and the first time in months that I have been able to include photographs.
Aside from the I have:
- Asked the Rt Hon Michael Gove MP, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, about helping business to prepare for Britain leaving the EU on 31 December: https://www.drlukeevans.org.uk/news/business-preparedness-exiting-eu
- Took part in the Health and Social Care Select Committee hearing about patient care ankd improving patient journeys during COVID and for the future
- Asked the Home Secretary, the Rt Hon Priti Patel MP, about how she responded to gaslighting by opposition MPs seeking to invalidate her experience of racism.
- Raised the funding and support of Hinckley Business Improvement District (BID) with ministers in the chamber as we move to lift lockdown: https://www.drlukeevans.org.uk/news/dr-luke-presses-action-bids
- Took part in a virtual roundtable meeting with other midlands MPs, the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government and Sir John Peace, Chairman of the Midlands Engine – asking about projects in Bosworth that can boost growth
- Spoke to the members of Market Bosworth Rotary via Zoom.
- Took part in a virtual round table with the East Midlands Chamber of Commerce to hear about problems and solutions offered by businesses across Bosworth
- Asked the Secretary of State for International Trade about maintaining food standards and opportunities for our farmers under new international trading arrangements: https://www.drlukeevans.org.uk/news/response-constituent-emails-about-food-environment-and-agriculture-issues
- Took part in a virtual meeting of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Sport about the future of PE and school sport.
- Met with the Schools Minister to follow up on my pre-COVID question to the Education Secretary about Hinckley Academy
- Took part in a teleconference with Secretary of State for Trade discussing an update on trade negotiations with New Zealand, Australia and the 11 countries of CPTPP – (Comprehensive and Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership) and what this will mean for the business of Leicestershire